Saturday, September 16, 2017

Fourteenth Sunday after Trinity, September 17th, 2017

Fourteenth Sunday after Trinity, September 17th, 2017

I believe that I am a calm, laid-back person . . . .  for the most part, that is.  There really is not too much that "gets under my skin," I have to admit.  But one of the things that really "pushes my buttons," I have to admit, is rude people.  Is it me or are there less and less manners being put into practice by people?  I enjoy going to a store that sells used cd's and movies.  Well, they used to sell cd's.  I don't think they even sell those anymore.  Well, I enjoy going to this store to see if they have any movies that I would enjoy watching.  Since the aisles are rather narrow, you have to pass in front of people in order to go down the aisle.  Now, this is not the problem.  Since the aisles are narrow, this is understandable.  What is not understandable, though, are the complete lack of manners and total disrespect exhibited by a good percentage of people today.  People will walk right in front of you and never say "Excuse me" or "Sorry" or "Pardon me."    Hold a door open for someone today and see if you get a "Thank you" in return for your efforts.  My parents taught me manners while I was growing up.  They taught me to always say "Yes, Ma'am" or "Yes, Sir" when addressing others.  They taught me to say "Please" and "Thank You."  They taught me the art of something we used to call "common courtesy."  You see, common courtesy is something that  . . . . .  no matter your station in life . . . .  whether you are a president of a company or a cook or a janitor . . . .  whoever you are, whatever you are . . .   being respectful and courteous is something that everyone is capable of if they would just put the effort into it.   I am so grateful that my parents taught me to be courteous and respectful.  It is a skill that I have tried to put into practice my whole life.  Sadly, judging from others around me, it seems that this is a "dying art."  Is it a matter that people were never "taught" manners or is it that they were taught, yes, but they just choose not to be respectful?  It's hard to say.  

In the Seventeenth Chapter of the Gospel of St. Luke, we hear about Our Blessed Saviour passing through Samaria and Galilee as He went to Jerusalem.   And as He went, St. Luke tells us, He met ten lepers who begged for healing.  They yelled, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!"  Our Lord heard their request and gave them the direction to go show themselves to the priest.  As they went, they were miraculously healed .  . . . all ten of them.  The curious thing of this is that out of all of the ten that were cured . . . . only one of the lepers turned back to thank Our Blessed Saviour.  Only one man who was cured returned to give praise and thanksgiving.  Only one man came back to acknowledge the amazing thing that Our Lord just did for him.  Now in this story it is easy to find fault with the other "nine" who were not courteous enough to turn around and show thanksgiving to Our Blessed Saviour.  But how often do we show thanks to God for all the blessings He shows to us on a daily basis?   Do we thank God for blessing us?  Do we go to God daily in prayer to thank Him for the life He has given us?  The blessings He has bestowed on us?  How often do we thank God for the wonderful things He does for us?  Our Blessed Saviour was impressed with the Samaritan who turned around and gave thanks to Him for the healing he had received.  Let us pray that Our Blessed Saviour will be impressed with us as well when we thank Him for all the blessings He has bestowed on us.

St. Margaret Church gathers together every Sunday morning to listen to the Word of God, found in the King James Bible and the 1928 Book of Common Prayer.  Join us as we listen to God speak to each one of us.  Set aside one hour of your busy week and dedicate this time to God.  Receive the Precious Body and Blood of Christ at Communion time to strengthen and nourish you.  

We worship at the beautiful chapel at Marquette Manor, located at 8140 N. Township Line Road on the Northwest side of Indianapolis.  Mass begins at 9:30 AM.  Come join us and use this time to thank God for the many blessings He has shown you.

No comments:

Post a Comment