Saturday, May 11, 2019

Third Sunday after Easter, May 12th, 2019

Third Sunday after Easter, May 12th, 2019

In the Sixteenth Chapter of the Gospel of St. John, we are hearing Our Blessed Saviour explain to the disciples that their sorrow will be turned into joy.  Of course He is referring to the fact that He will go away from them for a time and they will be sorrowful.  Afterwards, though, they will see Him again and they will be joyful once again. To illustrate the fact that sorrow can indeed turn into joy He uses the example of a woman about to give birth.  Our Lord points out that a woman about to give birth is sorrowing because she is focused on the pain she is going through but then once she gives birth this same woman focuses on the joy of giving birth to her child.  Our Lord said:  "A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you."  (St. John 16:21)  He went on to tell them that they are now sorrowing at the thought of losing Him but He will see them once more and then they will be joyful again.  

In life we experience many varied emotions, don't we?  Sometimes life is good and we enjoy it and we are happy and joyful.  Other times life is difficult and we are angry or mad or sorrowful . . . .  In my opinion it is appropriate that this particular reading falls on Mother's Day here in the U.S.  I can't help but reflect on my own mother whom I lost a few years back.  I think back to when I was growing up and the different emotions I would cause in that wonderful woman.  Angry when I did something she told me not to do.  Disappointed when she saw that I could have certainly done better but chose not to.  She was sorrowful when she saw that I was hurting.  She was joyful when she saw that I was happy and growing.  She was proud when she saw me achieving great things and moving forward in life.  But through all these emotions, through all these events throughout my life, there was one constant and of course this is love.  The love of a mother, I have said for a long time, most closely resembles any love we can see on earth.  The reason I say that is because a mother gives birth to us, she raises us, she teaches us, she stays with us and loves us no matter what our whole life.  We say the same thing about God:  He gives us life, He watches over us, teaches us, He stays with us our entire life and loves us our entire life.  Was my mother always happy with me?  No.  She was not happy when I disobeyed her.  She was not happy when I did something wrong.  She still loved me, yes, but she was not always happy when I acted up as a child.  The same can be said about God.  He is not happy when we go against Him.  He is not happy when we sin.  And yet He always loves us.  He may be disappointed in our choices.  He may be disappointed in our actions.  But no matter what He loves us.  This is why He sent His Son into the world  to save us from our sins.  

Good, loving parents always want better for their children than they had in life.   A good parent wants to see their children do better than they have in life.  So, too with God.  It was not enough that He created the universe.  It was not enough that he created us human beings.   It was not enough that He gave us life.  He wanted better for His children This is why He sent His only begotten Son into the world to save us from our sins.  Thus, He could save us from sin . . .  save us from death . . .  save us from ourselves!  God loved His children so much that He not only wanted to give them life  . . .  He wanted them to have Eternal Life!  And this was made possible by Our Blessed Saviour!  Let us always remember His efforts on our behalf.  

St. Margaret Church meets each and every Sunday morning at 9:30 AM.  We worship at the beautiful Chapel at Marquette Manor, located at 8140 N. Township Line Road on the Northwest side of Indianapolis.  We use the King James Bible and the 1928 Book of Common Prayer.  Come join us as we listen to God speak to us through His Word.  At Communion time, we receive the Precious Body and Blood of Christ to nourish us and give us strength for our journey called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment