Saturday, August 3, 2019

Seventh Sunday after Trinity, August 4th, 2019

Seventh Sunday after Trinity, August 4th, 2019



Recently, I was browsing the internet and I came across a meme which caught my interest.  It was a picture of a priest and the caption read:  "I am a Priest of Christ."  And it also stated that these were his last words.  These words needless to say caught my attention and the fact that these words were the last ones spoken by this priest fascinated me even more.  So when I got the opportunity I did a little research.  Well, the quote was attributed to St. Pedro Poveda, a Spanish priest who dedicated his life to working with the poor and also took a great interest in education.  During the Spanish Revolution, when there was much religious oppression and persecution, Father Pedro was told to identify himself by his persecutors.  And he proclaimed it loud and clear when he stated loud enough for everyone to hear him:  "I am a Priest of Christ!"  You see, Father Pedro was facing execution when he spoke these words.  He could have said and done anything, I would imagine, under those circumstances.  But he chose to proclaim loudly who he was.  "I am a Priest of Christ!"  But it got to thinking why don't all of us proclaim loudly who we are?  Maybe we do already.  But if we don't, why don't we?  St. Pedro was a priest who was facing execution by those who hated the Church with a passion.  And yet it didn't stop him from proclaiming who he was.  Does the world hate us for who we are?  Does the world try to hold us back?  Does our "politically- correct" society mock us and scorn us for our Christian beliefs, traditions and values?  Do we proclaim to these people?  "I am a Child of Christ!"  "I am a Son of God!"  "I am a Daughter of the Most High!"    We should scream out to the world:  "I am a Child of God!"  

You know, my grandson was home recently and I had the opportunity to see him in his dress blues.  He looked so handsome and the uniform was so sharp.  It was impressive to see.  He was proud to wear the uniform.  The uniform stands for something.  It means something.  It represents not only who he is but what he endured to earn the right to wear that uniform.  He had every right to feel proud and hold his head high.  But so do we as Christians.  We are indeed sons and daughters of the Most High.  Christ came into the world to save us from our sins.  We have been washed in the Blood of the Lamb.  We should feel proud as well.  Proud that Christ loved us so much that He was willing to die on the Cross for us.  Proud that God has forgiven us our sins and wants us to spend eternity with Him.  We should proclaim not only with our voices but also with the way in  which we live our lives:  "I am a Child of God!  Christ died on the Cross for me!  And I want to live for Him!"   Tell the world who you are.  Tell the world what you are.  Tell the world who you belong to.  

St. Margaret Church gathers together every Sunday morning and we would love for you to join us in our weekly worship of Our Heavenly Father.  Mass begins at 9:30 AM.  We celebrate Mass in the Chapel of Marquette Manor, which is located at 8140 N. Township Line Road in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Please choose to take some time out of your busy schedule to spend some quality time with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment