Saturday, March 21, 2020

Fourth Sunday in Lent, March 22nd, 2020

Fourth Sunday in Lent, March 22nd, 2020

Some Thirty-Five years ago I was a member of the Guardian Angels.  Now, the Guardian Angels is the anti-crime volunteer group which had its' roots in New York City and was founded by Curtis Sliwa.  The Guardian Angels would patrol subways or troubled neighborhoods plagued by crime with the hopes of helping those in need, particularly in hopes of not only being an anti-crime deterrent but to actually intervene in helping victims of crime.  Well, at that time I got to the point where I would travel to various cities to help in setting up local Guardian Angels chapters across the country and even in Canada.  One of the cities where I helped in this capacity at the time was Seattle, Washington.  Now, bear in mind that the Guardian Angels are a completely volunteer organization.  As such, nobody received any type of salary.  We lived off of our own money or contributions from the community.  It was my time spent in Seattle where I specifically remember having an appreciation for what I had.  In other words, the cause for my new-found appreciation at the time came directly from my having to "do without," so to speak.  You see, when I was working full-time in my capacity as a Guardian Angel that times were lean, so to speak.  Very often, we didn't know where our next meal would come from and when we did eat, it might only consist of a peanut butter sandwich.  We also had powdered milk to drink.  In other words, I found that I had found an appreciation of what I had previously  taken for granted.  It was through my "doing without" that I found a new-found appreciation of what I had in front of me and was not so picky after that.  In short, I learned to appreciate the things which I did have.  

The reason I am bringing this up is because there are so many in this land of ours . . .  and across the world, for that matter . . . that are now finding ourselves in the position of having things taken away from us which we very well might have taken for granted previously.  Going to the grocery store and seeing the shelves full of what we needed is suddenly not a given like it was just a few short weeks ago.  Going out to eat at our favorite restaurant is now not available either.  Deciding to go to see a movie, a sporting event, or even to travel is not available at this current time.  It seems as though our world has changed so quickly.  It seems as though life as we knew it such a short time ago has changed considerably.  Again, things which we took for granted previously are now not available to us.  Even going to work and earning a paycheck has changed for so many in our society.  Think of the people who earn their paychecks as waiters or waitresses . . . .  small business owners . . . . . people such as ushers or ticket-takers at major sporting events.  So many of these people mentioned and so many more are suddenly without jobs and subsequently without paychecks.  Again, things which were taken for granted previously.  So often in the act of losing something we begin to appreciate what we do not have any longer.  Even now in the midst of forced closings, I am now forced to do without something which I have enjoyed my entire life:  going to church on Sunday.  My entire life I have had the luxury of going to church but how often did I not truly appreciate what I had?  How often did I take this simple act of going to church  for granted?  How often did I not not truly appreciate the wonderful gift afforded to me in going to church to worship God with my brothers and sisters, my church family?  Now that I do not have this opportunity to worship God in communion and to receive the Sacraments, I am beginning to appreciate what I am now missing.  As it stands now, our church will be closed for at least another six weeks.  Forgive me, Lord for not truly appreciating the wonderful gift you had given me my entire life.  That is:  going to church, hearing the Word of God, receiving the Precious Body and Blood of Our Lord at Communion time, and enjoying the fellowship of my church family.

But all is not lost, dear friends.  God is ever with us.  God is with us even in the darkest hours.  In St. Matthew 28:20, we hear Our Lord say:  "Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."  Our Lord is indeed with us always.  He is with us when we read the Holy Scriptures.  He speaks to us through the prophets of old.  We merely need to make the effort to listen to what He is saying to us.  Our Lord is present in those around us.  He uses people as His instruments to speak to us, to comfort us, to support us.  And in turn we also are His instruments to those around us.  As I like to say, you and I have the potential to be God's face and God's hands throughout our communities, to be His ambassadors to those around us.  And God speaks to us when we pray to Him.  We just have to make a point to listen to what He is trying to say to us.  So often this world keeps us so busy that it drowns out what God is saying to us.  We are so busy with living our own lives that we don't have time for God.  Now, that has changed.   Or at least it has the potential to change.  It is still up to us.  We are the ones that still need to make the effort to listen.  We still need to make a point to pay attention to what God is speaking to us.  At this time when there is so much turmoil in the world around us, let us spend this time focusing on God and being with Him.  Ask God to speak to you and then make a point to listen in the silence of your hearts.  They may take many things away from you . . . One thing that will never leave you is the Presence of the Almighty.  "I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

Please note that St. Margaret of Scotland Church will NOT meet on Sunday, March 22nd, 2020

 Please check back often to our website for further announcements concerning when we will be allowed to meet again.  In the meantime, make a point to pray for one another.  Make a point to reach out to those affected either directly or indirectly.  And make a point to allow God to use you as His instrument in the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment