Saturday, February 10, 2024

Quinquagesima, or the Sunday Next before Lent, February 11th, 2024

 Quinquagesima, or the Sunday next before Lent, 

February 11th, 2024

I love to look at pictures from the past.  I truly enjoy seeing the people and settings from decades in the past.  As such, I was looking at some of my family pictures from long ago.  Some of which were so long ago they were before my time.  That was a long time ago!  Anyhow, as I was looking at the pictures it dawned on me that the unfamiliar people in those pictures which I was seeing and not recognizing were still connected to me.  They were still a part of me.  Great-Great-Aunts and Great-Great-Uncles.  Great-Great-Great-Grandparents from long ago.  The faces in these pictures which I was looking at may look strange to my eyes.  They may seem unfamiliar to me.  But it dawned on me that despite the fact of me not knowing them, they are still a part of me.  They contributed to me being here.  Without them, I would not be here.  Thanks to them, when you think about it, I am here because of them.  By being here today, at this time, I am continuing on because of them. I am my own person, of course, but I carry on thanks in part to their efforts.  I have their blood, their DNA inside of me.  They are, to a certain degree, the foundation upon which my life is built.     This is how it is with God and so many people today.  They do not recognize God is in their life, let alone that He is their foundation.  They do not understand that God has been with them from the beginning.  God is a part of them in ways that they do not even realize.  Probably because they do not take the time to realize.  They do not take the time to try and understand.  We live in a day and age in which we do not need God in our own estimation because we are too busy or we think ourselves too important to need Him.  Modern day humanity is so full of themselves in regard to their self-importance that they think they do not need God.  But God is indeed our foundation whether we realize it or not.  God is still the basis for our life whether we acknowledge it or not.  God is still our reason for existence even though we spend our days ignoring Him.  Lent is a good time to turn all this around.  Spend the next forty days of Lent dedicated to the One Who loves you unconditionally.  Dedicate these upcoming days to the One Who died on the Cross for you.  Dedicate these upcoming days to love the One Who first loved us.

St. Margaret of Scotland Anglican Church is a traditional Anglican parish, which uses the Anglican Missal and the 1928 Book of Common Prayer.  We also use the King James Version of the Bible.  We believe strongly in Our Lord's words . . .  "this is My Body and this is My Blood" . . . and believe that Our Blessed Saviour is truly present in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar and we receive Him at Communion time.  Come join us every Sunday morning at 10:30 AM as we gather together as God's family to worship Our Blessed Lord.  We celebrate Mass in the Chapel at Marquette Manor, which is located at 8140 N. Township Line Road on the Northwest side of Indianapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment