Sunday, October 11, 2020

The Uncaught Captive

 I heard a wonderful poem recited by Bishop Sheen on a television program originally aired in the early to mid 1970's, I am sure.  Bishop Sheen never stated the name of the poem nor did he state who wrote the words.  But doing a search the poem seems to be attributed to an English poet named Elizabeth Cheney, born 1859.    I am unsure of the title of the poem.  I call it "The Uncaught Captive" because these are the two words which caught my attention the most when I heard Bishop Sheen recite this lovely poem.  

    
"I slipped His fingers, I escaped His feet,
     I ran and hid, for Him I feared to meet.
     One day I passed Him, fettered on a Tree,
     He turned His Head, and looked, and beckoned me.

    "Neither by speed, nor strength could He prevail.
     Each hand and foot was pinioned by a nail.
     He could not run or clasp me if He tried,
     But with His eye, He bade me reach His side.

    "For pity's sake, thought I, I'll set you free.
     'Nay -- hold this cross,' He said, 'and follow me.
     This yoke is easy, this burden light,
     Not hard or grievous if you wear it tight.'

    "So did I follow Him Who could not move,
     An uncaught captive in the hands of Love."




No comments:

Post a Comment